Sunday, November 20, 2011

Teens into the punk scene...Dad needs your help...please.?

Well...my 16 yr. old son is now someone I don't really recognize. He's still my son and I love him with all my heart but confess that I have a tough time accepting the 2 nose rings and the tight clothes etc that's part of the punk scene that he's found to help identify himself.





You know, my parents likely thought I was an alien when I was his age, with hair past my shoulder, jeans and jean jackets and the like. So, I do understand that everyone needs to find their own paths, friends and scenes.





The hair (sides shaved, middle dyed blonde and long), the clothing and the nose rings are one thing but he just doesn't seem to care about school (flunked his first course last yr) and other responsibilities any more. I truly don't see any signs of heavy drug use but......I just can't seem to reach him.





Parents with this experience or other teens into the punk scene....I would sincerely appreciate your feedback, suggestions and comments. I love my son and feel like I'm losing him...

Teens into the punk scene...Dad needs your help...please.?
Here is the thing, he doesn't want to talk to you because you're an adult who is like any adult a little worried way he dresses. You don't understand his fashion sense and think it's weird. The goal of Punk is to make a statment, "You're old, and you don't get me and your judgemental cause you think I'm doing drugs" It's very complicated, and I could write a six page essay about and only scrape the surface. Don't acuse him of drugs unless you have proof (hard for you parents). Flunking is unacceptable, so you can exercise any sort of motivation to bring it up. Say he wants a guitar, tell him he get a guitar if he pulls up his grades. Trust me, you'll NEVER get it ever so don't try to change him. :/
Reply:being punk is a way of rebelling. he just wants you to look at him and say no no no. but if you agree with him on a lot of stuff, take interest in what he wears and how he acts, he'll become disinterested and find his way back to being "normal" as one might say faster.


No comments:

Post a Comment